For the first time in Maldivian history, the island nation has won World’s Leading Destination award at the World Travel Awards 2020.
This is a a historical milestone for the country, as the award is the most distinguished category of the World Travel Awards. The Maldives competed with 22 other world-class destinations such as; Dubai, Spain, Greece, India, and the United States of America. Furthermore, 6 properties in the Maldives won prestige in the world-class categories, and Trans Maldivian Airways (TMA) also won the world’s leading seaplane operator, which the airline has been secured since 2019.
The tiltes secutred by the properties in the Maldives include;
- World’s Leading Luxury Island Resort 2020: The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
- World’s Leading Luxury Island Villas 2020: Baros Maldives
- World’s Leading Water Villa Resort 2020: Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Kuda Huraa
- World’s Leading New Resort 2020: Emerald Maldives esort & Spa
- World’s Leading Airport Resort 2020: Hulhule Island Hotel
- World’s Leading Honeymoon Resort 2020: JA Manafaru
The Maldives also won regional titles at the World Travel Awards including:
- Indian Ocean’s Leading Beach Destination 2020: Maldives
- Indian Ocean’s Leading Cruise Destination: 2020: Maldives
- Indian Ocean’s Leading Destination 2020: Maldives
- Indian Ocean’s Leading Dive Destination 2020: Maldives
Winning World's Leading Destination award endorses #Maldives tourism success. It reflects sound policies of HEP @ibusolih and his team; product and service excellence by tourism industry partners; and promotion of @visitmaldives by private sector and MMPRC.— Ministry of Tourism (@MoTmv) November 28, 2020
The Maldives has received such an esteemed recognition during the most challenging of times faced by the tourism industry.
Tourism Minister of the Maldives, Dr. Abdulla Mausoom stated, “Maldives winning World’s Leading Destination award is a strong endorsement of the popularity of Maldives amongst international tourists. This superb win reflects the strong determination and sound policies of HEP Solih and his administration, strive and strides of travel and tourism industry partners and employees; targeted #VisitMaldives promotion by industry partners and MMPRC and of course the warm smile of Maldivians. Congratulations!”
Established in 1993, World Travel Awards acknowledges, rewards and celebrate excellence across all key sectors of the travel, tourism and hospitality industries. Today, the World Travel Awards™ brand is recognised globally as the ultimate hallmark of industry excellence.