As the Maldives prepares to reopen its international borders from 15 July 2020, Maldives Airports Company Limited (MACL) has announced the international airlines which will be resuming its operations to the Maldives.
Maldives Airports Company Limited (MACL) has also offered attractive discounts to International Airlines operating at Velana International Airport, to ease and assist the resumption of airlines, encouraging them to start its operations to produce a substantial inflow of tourists to boost up Maldives tourism.
The timeline of confirmed international airline services include;
- Emirates: Flights between Dubai and Male on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays, from16th July to 21st August 2020.
- Qatar Airways: Daily flight between Doha and Male, from 15th July to 24th October 2020.
- Etihad Airways: Flights between Abu Dhabi and Male every Tuesday and Saturday from 18th July to 28th July 2020.
- Gulf Air: Flights arriving via Bahrain and departing to Colombo from Male, daily except Friday and Saturday, and second service flight via Colombo and departing to Bahrain from Male, every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday, from 2nd August to 21st October 2020. A third service flight via Colombo to Bahrain transiting through Male on every Wednesday, from 5th August to 21st October 2020.
- Hong Kong Airlines: Flights between Hong Kong and Male, every Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays, from 1st August to 24th October 2020,
- IndiGo: Two daily direct flights between Male and Indian cities of Mumbai and Cochin, from 10th August to 24th October 2020.
- Silk Air: Daily flights between Singapore and Male, from 1st August to 24th October 2020.
- Singapore Airlines: Daily flights between Singapore and Male, from 1st August to 24th October 2020.
- Srilankan Airlines: Three daily direct flights between Colombo and Male, from 1st August to 24th October 2020.
- Edelweiss Air: Direct flight between Zurich and Male on every Thursday, from 24th September to 22nd October 2020. A second service flight between Zurich and Male on every Sunday, from 27th September to 18th October 2020.
- Edelweiss Air: Direct flight between Zurich and Male on every Friday, from 2nd October 2020 to 23rd October 2020.
- Turkish Airlines: Flights between Istanbul and Colombo transiting through Male, every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, from 1st October to 23rd October 2020.
The Maldives Civil Aviation Authority has also announced precautionary guidelines that are applicable to all international airlines, aircraft operators operating to and from the Maldives, and relevant airport authorities in the Maldives. The circular will come into effect from 15 July 2020.