Male’, Maldives, 6th October 2022 – The official ceremony celebrating the first ever Maldives National Tourism Day and the Golden Jubilee Anniversary of tourism in the Maldives was held on 2nd October 2022 at Dharubaaruge.
The Golden Year Celebrations were attended by the President of Maldives, Vice President of Maldives, former President and Speaker of Parliament Mohamed Nasheed, Chief Justice of Maldives, Uz. Ahmed Muthasim Adnan, Minister of Tourism Dr. Abdullah Mausoom, Members of Parliament and many tourism industry members and investors.
Last year, President of the Maldives, His Excellency Ibrahim Mohamed Solih announced 3rd October as the official National Tourism Day of the Maldives and began the countdown to this very special occasion. The Ministry of Tourism, government and private businesses have been carrying out many events in celebration of the Golden Year of tourism throughout this year.
On the occasion of the first ever National Tourism Day, special awards were given out by the President and Vice President. The night was one of pride for the tourism industry for the special recognition it received from the nation for its contribution to its growth throughout the years. The ceremony was inaugurated by the President, with a video officially unveiling the award trophy design. The award design and video animations were done by Isles Studio.
The evening’s opening remarks were delivered by Deputy Minister of Tourism, Dr. Naushad Mohamed.
“This is the first official National Tourism Day celebrated in the Maldives. In previous years, we have been celebrating the international tourism day. Nevertheless, we have chosen the day the first resort officially opened in the Maldives as the National Tourism Day. As such, today is a special occasion that marks both the first ever National Tourism Day and the 50th anniversary of tourism in our country.”
At the ceremony, the new Maldives Tourism Awards introduced by the Ministry of Tourism were awarded to winners. There were 12 categories and a total of 28 award recipients.
The Deputy Minister of Tourism remarked introducing such an award is a great recognition and encouragement for all the businesses in the tourism sector. He said there were a total of 103 applications from 46 parties. It is the Ministry’s hope that this will motivate and inspire more businesses to achieve greater heights.
In addition, the President of the Maldives also delivered a speech highlighting the success story of tourism and the key qualities of it: Maldivian hospitality. “Maldives tourism became a global brand due to the hard work of everyone here, all the recipients of tonight’s awards and many more people. We thank everyone for their contribution and hope to give them the recognition they deserve. The Maldives is more sea than land. Nevertheless, Maldives tourism has risen to the top and is home to one of the most famous international hotel chains and provides the highest quality service.
“By the end of September, the Maldives had 160 resorts, 3 yacht marinas, 13 tourist hotels, 721 guesthouses are running. In addition, 4 homestays, 147 tourist vessels, 7 bareboats have been registered.
“Our goal is the take tourism to all the islands across the Maldives. For this, one of the most important aspects is transport to support it. The redevelopments that we started at Velana International Airport 12 years ago can be seen now. The Hanimaadhoo airport is currently undergoing significant changes and work is progressing to improve the quality and standards of the Gan international airport in Addu. Our aim is to establish airports 20-30 minutes from each inhabited island to facilitate accessibility.”
List of Winners of Maldives Tourism Awards 2022:
- Best Resort: One & Only Reethi Rah Maldives, Medhufinolhu, Kaafu Atoll
- Best Guesthouse: Sabba Summer Suite
- Best Safari Vessel: Gurahali
- Best Travel Agency: Intour Maldives Pvt Ltd
- Best Water Sports Centre: Ocean Group Pvt Ltd
- Best Dive Centre: Rasdhoo Divers Kuramathi
7. Promoting Local DJs, Resort Category: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, South Ari Atoll
8. Promoting Local Musicians, Resort Category: Hard Rock Hotel Maldives – CROSSROADS Maldives
9. Promoting Local Performers, Resort Category: Vilamendhoo Island Resort, South Ari Atoll and Reethi Beach Resort, Fonimagoodhoo, Baa Atoll
10. Utilization of Local Products, Resort Category: The Standard Huruvalhi Maldives, Huruvalhi, Raa Atoll
11. Best Staff Accommodation, Resort Category: Joali Muravandhoo, Raa Atoll
12. Best Staff Dining Experience, Resort Category: Kurumba Maldives, Vihamanaafushi, Kaafu Atoll
13. Employee Healthcare, Resort Category: One & Only Reethi Rah Maldives, Medhufinolhu, Kaafu Atoll
14. Excellence in Staff Recreation, Resort Category: One & Only Reethi Rah Maldives, Medhufinolhu, Kaafu Atoll
15. Highest Number of Female Employees, Resort Category: Joali Being Bodufushi, Raa Atoll
16. Highest Parity of Maldivian Employees, Resort Category: Bandos Maldives, Kaafu Atoll
17. Safest Work Place, Resort Category: Saii Lagoon Maldives – CROSSROADS Maldives
18. Training Career Development, Resort Category: Constance Moofushi Resort, South Ari Atoll and Constance Halaveli Resort, North Ari Atoll
19. Best Staff Dining Experience, Safari Vessels Category: Maldives Explorer
20. Safest Work Place, Safari Vessels Category: Gurahali
21. Best Staff Dining Experience, Guesthouse Category: Sabba Summer Suite
22. Employee Healthcare, Guesthouse Category: Sabba Summer Suite
23. Excellence in Staff Recreation, Guesthouse Category: Sabba Summer Suite
24. Highest Parity of Maldivian Employees, Guesthouse Category: Island Luxury Fulhadhoo
25. Safest Work Place, Guesthouse Category: Ithaa Dhigurah
26. Training Career Development, Guesthouse Category: Island Luxury Fulhadhoo
Following the award ceremony, many leading industry members, including the President of NHGAM, Abdullah Nasheed, the President of NBAM Ismail Hameed, the President of MATATO Abdullah Ghiyas and the President of ATA Yoosuf Riffath.
During his speech, the CEO and Managing Director of MMPRC, Mr. Thoyyib said: “The last 3 years were unprecedented in the 50 years of our tourism history. Despite this, it is a great achievement that we were able to overcome this. It is thanks to the careful and timely decisions taken by the President and government to open borders and continue conducting tourism safely. It is because of those actions that we were able to achieve recognition as the world’s leading destination for 2 years consecutively. We hope we will get this privilege for a third time. In the last 4 years, the Maldives has won 80 awards, both globally and regionally.”
He ended his speech by noting the future of the Maldives tourism looks very bright and he wishes we achieve more successes together as a country.
The event came to an event with closing remarks by the Minister of Tourism, Dr. Mausoom. He began his remarks by thanking the government for announcing the National Tourism Day. Its introduction is proof of the government’s recognition of the tourism industry’s contribution to the nation.
He noted there are many benefits of local tourism for Maldivians such as providing locals with a variety of job opportunities and increasing opportunities for smaller economies such as fishermen and farmers. He hopes to give locals more opportunities that will give them not only economic benefits of income, but also social benefits of being able to work in their native land, near their families, rather than having to venture out of their local communities for work. The hope is that everyone will reap benefits from tourism activities.
This brought an end to the Golden Year Celebrations for the night. The celebrations continued the next day, with the President’s special Gold Tourism Awards.